School Health Nurse
Our School Health Nurse based at Aureus school is Alice Rayner.
Secondary schools within Oxfordshire have a named NHS School Health Nurse. The aim of the School Nurse is to offer evidence based, accessible, preventative health care for children and young people. https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/school-healthnurses/
I work closely with other professionals and school staff to support students to be both physically and emotionally healthy, make informed healthy lifestyle choices, improve physical and emotional health, and to reach their full potential.
I work Term Time every weekday, except Wednesdays, and am based in the ‘Medical
room’, First floor (for first aid/medical support please inform a member of school staff in the normal way).
I will be setting up a ‘drop in’ school nursing session on a lunch time, for all students where no appointment is needed as soon as is safe to do so. For now if you would like to see me please let your coach or PWL know, or you can contact me confidentially on my number below - don’t forget to include your full name.
My contact telephone number is: 07909 691633 (text or call)
My e-mail address is: Alice.Rayner@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk
Examples of what your School Health Nurse can offer include:
- Someone to talk to confidentially about your health, including your physical health, emotional health, sexual health and general wellbeing or any other health related topics you might like advice, information or support with.
- Advice and support about healthy choices (eg keeping safe, drugs, alcohol, quitting smoking, exercise, maintaining healthy growth/weight, dental health)
- Contraception, including emergency contraception, contraceptive pills, injections and condoms; pregnancy testing; chlamydia screening and treatment.
- Provide teaching sessions and support teachers with delivery of PSHE.
- Provide information and signpost to specialist services which may be able to support you.
If we cannot help, we will find someone who can.
If you need to contact the school nursing team during the school holidays or on my nonworking day if urgent, you can call: South School Nursing Team on: 01865 904890
The school nursing service is not an emergency service. If you or a friend are in need of urgent help, please contact a member of staff on site, who will get you the immediate support needed. If you are off site in the case of an emergency, please call 999.
If you are in need of emergency contraception outside of the school nurses working hours, please attend your GP practice, local sexual health clinic or local pharmacy as soon as you can - visit www.oxme.info or https://www.sexualhealthoxfordshire.nhs.uk/ for more details.
The School Nursing service is confidential. This means you can discuss personal information with us and we will not discuss it with anyone else without your permission, unless we feel that you or another may be at risk of harm. If information needs to be shared we will always try to discuss this with you first so that you know why, and what will happen.